Midwest Art

March 30, 2011

Texas Oil and Hurricanes

116a
    and pink spoonbills. We drove along  the Gulf coast through Mississippi and Texas passing by large areas that are still devastated from  Katrina and Rita. Most of coastal property for miles west of Biloxi,Mississippi is empty land where beautiful old houses once stood. In 2008 hurricane Ike flattened the entire little town of Gilchrist, Texas. It had been a thriving fishing,vacation and residential community spread across the narrow Bolivar Peninsula.  Many places are reverting back to a more natural state which the animals seem to be enjoying. These spoonbills were nesting in a wildlife preserve which is protected but now gets even fewer visitors because of destroyed roads and recreation areas.  More pictures here - https://picasaweb.google.com/tonyandkaren1/TexasOil?authkey=Gv1sRgCKXWtsulodmN7QE#

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I wonder what you would find along the these beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would bet there would be a lot of stuff... not sure how that works though.. I think no matter what I found that walking along those beaches would be a very emotional walk. I know since watching the tsunami come in on Japan.. it has changed a bit how I feel while walking on the beach.. and how I look at the treasures I find. I had never thought about how the things I pick up and get so happy finding.. could be from someone else's tragedy... I am still working it out for myself.. on one hand it makes me fee as I should treasure each item even more... on the other hand I am just not sure.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
We have been fulltiming in our motorhome since 1993. We've traveled through all 50 states and most of the Canadian provinces.It's a great life!